January 9, 2009

Zimbabwe and Trip to Minnesota

I'm quite relieved to have just now gotten an e-mail from my friend Fiona in Zimbabwe. I hadn't heard from her in so long that I was really beginning to wonder if they were all right.

They were able to make a trip to South Africa for a medical need. They're spending more time in court over title to their farm. They have had more death threats, and one of their cows killed by poachers and sold to a butcher for cash - people there are just desperate for money. Fiona was recently able to buy a few basics, but because cholera has spread to their area she's afraid to buy certain things, understandably.

I was watching a news video on Zimbabwe on the internet a few days ago - a lady was saying how sad it is that Zimbabwe is now in such dire straits. It used to be one of the most prosperous African countries. We take so much for granted here in North America, but have no guarantees.

I've been a very negligent poster lately - it's hard to find time to blog when everyone's been home over the holidays, but it's been good to be together. We've done a few big puzzles together, and purchased a Wii, which has been fun. We made a trip to Minnesota to visit my Dad and B from last Wednesday until Sunday, getting there just in time to ring in the new year with them. We even took Rascal along - we've never done that before, but there was no room at the doggy inn! :o) It worked out quite well to take him, even though he barked at the border official on the way down. Rascal quickly settled right in at Dad's, and by the last day was even jumping on their laps. The worst part of bringing him was taking turns babysitting him in the vehicle when we stopped for meals. The roads were not great for the trip down, but were fine on the way home.

While we were there, A put a tub surround in Dad & B's main floor bathroom so they don't have to shower in the basement anymore. It's not quite finished - we're headed back as soon as Dad gets his part done (refinishing the window trim - they opted to keep their bathroom window). And then A needs to do the final silicone application.

I had a really nice visit with Dad's next-door neighbors. They lived there when I was growing up, and are believers. Mrs. O. was such an encouragement during our visit. I remember her as an example of a godly woman when I was growing up. She gave me a New Testament once, and encouraged me to read it. I know the Lord used her in my life. It was so good to see her again. I tried to get together with my good childhood friend, G, but it was not to be - we played telephone tag instead. Next time!

It was so nice to be able to go to meeting in Lowry and be with them for their fellowship tea. It was fun to see everyone again, and visit. As usual, I brought our camera along on the trip, but didn't take any pictures. My excuse is that the camera is bulky and doesn't fit in my purse and I hate carrying an extra bag. Lame, I know! I did take a few pics on the drive home, of the kids actually getting along and enjoying themselves in the backseat of the truck. Now that was a sight to behold and remember! ;o)

4 comments:

Glenda Conner said...

LOL-honey you need a bigger purse! :)

robin said...

I know!! I say that all the time! :oD I would also love a less bulky camera.

robin

mauritamay said...

try to find a fashionable backpack (or non-fashionable, whichever) :-)

robin said...

Good idea, M.

robin