Ah, yes, another post-weekend-of-work Monday, which are often spent dragging around tired from lack of enough sleep over the weekend. I get home from work at the care home around 11:45 p.m., and then it takes me a good while to wind down to sleep. If lights are out by 1:00 a.m. I'm doing really well. So if I sound sleepy that is why! :o)
Work was pretty good. I work in a care home supported by the Mennonite churches, and it is a really nice facility. The unit I work on is the Special Care Unit - for residents with behavior problems, such as aggression, verbal abuse, yelling, multiple room entries, exit seeking, self abusive, etc. They come to the unit in order to try to get their behaviors to a manageable state, with the help of drugs and behavior care plans, with a goal of retaining quality of life, and are only there temporarily. It is an interesting place to work, and not without it's hazards! It's also a place where there are many opportunities to show love to those who are really suffering. Dementia is a very, very sad thing. I have watched my own mom decline physically with cancer, which was incredibly hard, but I would think that it would be even harder to watch a loved one mentally decline. Sometimes it is just too hard for family to bear, which leads them to not even visit. Frankly, I don't know how anyone gets through it without the Lord.
I've never worked with better staff anywhere - there are so many caring Christians that work on the unit, and it's really nice!
November 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment