January 29, 2008

Lumpy bumpy - yuck!

Today I had the grand privilege of adding wood to the boiler. It was sooooooo cold outside! It wasn't an easy job, as I struggled to get the boiler shed door open - right now there are 3-4 foot drifts all around the door, with a little bit of room right next to the door, and snow up against it. And guess where the shovel was? Inside. I was able to open the door enough to reach in and pull it out, then dug away enough snow to open the door to get inside. Then to dig out some wood from the snow, throw some cardboard in the boiler, toss in some wood, all the while holding my breath and coming back out for air regularly, so as to not inhale the smoke, which was copious! I was really glad to get that job done. The payoff is enjoying a nice toasty house on a bitterly cold day! And a healthy dose of appreciation that hubby does this ALL THE TIME for us (without complaining!). And today the sun was shining - the solar panel was doing it's job nicely, too.

A while after I came in, it was brought to my attention that my face was all red and lumpy - I have hives. Lovely. I think I have a cold allergy or something.

The forecast tonight is for -48 Celsius windchill (-54 Fahrenheit). I guess January is getting one last hurrah! I console myself with the fact that January is almost over, and the days are getting longer!

No comments: